21st birthday post

3:20pm @ Los Angeles, Westwood

i always thought my 21st birthday celebration was gonna be a really special one, not necessarily big by standards but something extraordinary, because you're only 21 once right? and as a little girl growing up with Sweet Valley High and all sorts of teenage nonsense on tv, i always fantasized about this really cool birthday party with all my best friends and loved ones, where everyone would be having a great time and i would be too, when i see everyone i love happy. i never would have thought that i would be spending my 21st on the other side of the world from where i've lived my entire life. i never would have thought that on my 21st i would have to go for class, buy my own birthday cake, squeeze on the crazy LA bus and brave the traffic while guarding the cake with my dear life... but most of all i never thought i would be spending my 21st alone.

it sounds all very dejecting but there is something poignant to take away nonetheless. after all, today is special: i'm free to do what i want, i'm in a new, exciting place with lots to explore and i am living the dream in terms of doing what i love, which is dancing and dancing with the stars no less. so yes, i am happy to be here (:

as i grow older, i start to be a little more contemplative. so 2008 was the year of heartbreak; i was surrounded by lots of love from my friends but i was recuperating from my first heartbreak. 2009 was the year of loss; my bff dropped out of my life without ever explaining why - which was a major blow. and i also flunked my 'A' levels. even though my closest friends were came out to celebrate with me despite having to prepare for 'A's, it didn't detract from the pain. 2010 was fresh and exciting; i thought this was it, this was gonna be my year. but 2011 disappointed me, and after an entire year of struggle, things finally ended with the ex and a part of my life was ripped away.

so the best thing to be grateful for on this 21st, is the fact that i found someone who rescued me from the ugly place i was and who showered me with so much love i can't possibly start to understand. even though the best thing we can make do is dinner over skype but the company is all that matters and i'm pretty sure it'll be the most memorable 21st ever (:

2012 is going to be full of hope... and i know it.

5:00pm @ Los Angeles, Home

gonna start preparing dinner now! (: exciteddd. i requested for Japanese food for the birthday dinner tonight so B sent over a packet of instant Jap curry!!! (: and a candle HAHA. this boy took candlelight dinner too literally. but i love it.

i am super hungry. can't wait.